And, of course, you can always return to Correct My Spelling!

Thursday, January 13, 2005

View from the top

Recently I became aware of a plateau achieved by this little blog of mine.

We all know of the primacy of Google and the importance placed on that site's page rank. As a small to medium sized blog, my page rank is modest at best, but I nonetheless like to compare myself to other sites. I like it best when I can compare myself favorably to other, larger sites.

For example, Correct My Spelling is the second most popular site to ever misspell Nouveau Riche [The me-preferred neuvo riche being both more economical and less vowel-intensive].

And, when searching [perhaps only in Belgium] for commentary on the truism 'without trust there can be no love'--a sentiment I, perhaps naively, thought I'd actually made up--CMS ranks a lackluster 4th, but that is exactly one ahead of theWB.com message boards. I consider this a major coup because who knows more about trust and love than preteen hicks and disillusioned widowers?

But recently, CMS has catapulted to the top of some rather disturbing lists. Tawdry lists is perhaps the sentiment I'm looking for; lists that I wouldn't consider to be representative of what Correct My Spelling has sought to achieve in this global idea exchange.

CMS is now number one with a bullet in each of the following Google Search Strings:

preteen genitalia [Mike discovered this one. He also lives near an Elementary School]

going condomless blogs -gay

Even though I didn't seek out this demographic of pedophiles and homophobes who go in for risky sex, I may now change focus. It's never really been about what I say as much as how many people read it.

6 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Omni said...

It sounds so cool to be ranked highly on search engines, but the reality is that nearly all you get for that are perverts looking for something disgusting, who won't stay on your blog for more than 2 seconds, and who you wouldn't WANT on your blog in any case.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right near an elementary school, baby. Actually, I ride past one on my way to school every morning. The recess ladies give me some suspicious-ass looks. I don't think your little missive will help matters much. When I report to school on Tuesday, I'm sure one of the recess monitors will be there to shoot rocksalt at me from a shotgun.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Mike, just stop driving so damn slowly.

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How menacing could I be on my mountain bike? A lot, I guess.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Just about as menacing as a feral cat -- on a bicycle. I know about this stuff, I saw it on Law and Order one time.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. roulete system from the dealer mazda 626 power installation electric antenna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home