And, of course, you can always return to Correct My Spelling!

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Landmark of Democracy

Voting crisis or no, the close gubernatorial election has yielded women in Washington's three highest offices, Governor and the two senatorial positions. This, according to FMF, is the first time ever such state offices have been concurrently held by women.

So that's nice as a thing for women, but I'm not a woman. What I'm more glad about is that these three women were far and away the best candidates for their positions. Dino Rossi made himself a few million dollars in real estate, made himself an enemy of women and homosexuals, with one of the most stringently fundamentalist voting records in the state legislature, then marketed himself as a moderate with a 'social conscience'. George Nethercutt, whom Patty Murray soundly defeated, is a firebrand and a moron who openly mocked the sacrifice of our troops in Iraq. He was a bad congressman who would have made a really bad senator.

Washington ranks second behind Maryland for percentage of female legislators.

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Maya said...

Living in Washington was a truly enlightening experience for me. I really appreciated how informed most people I met were, regardless of their station in life, and their concern for issues that didn't necessarily affect them directly. Granted, I lived in King County, Green Lake/Wallingford/Phinney Ridge/Fremont area, but there was a breadth of opinion and a harmony about living there that I've yet to experience anywhere else. But then again, maybe it wasn't that different from other liberal enclaves, like SF. It seems like it to me though.

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home